Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thrift Store Furniture Makeover

This was my first thrift store furniture makeover and it left me thinking, 'Why have I not done this before now?!' I suppose the reason is I felt like I would mess it up, or not know how to achieve what I wanted but truth is, there are enough websites and tutorials available to make anyone a professional. So, I found this vintage side table (see the cute lil' wheels!) for $14.99 not knowing what I'd do with it, but knowing it was a total steal and scooped it up without question. Next, I purchased my supplies: 
Oil based enamel paint- as it's more durable for furniture that will get heavy traffic (about $10 at Lowes) paint brush ($1 dollar store) and a container of Wipe On Poly (about $10 at Lowes) I already had sandpaper and after the project was done have lots of paint & poly leftover for future projects. So, lightly sand the table and then wipe dust away with wet rag. After dry, get to painting (with gloves!). There is really no right or wrong way to do this. This process took me about an hour start to finish. After the table has fully dried & no longer was sticky, I came back with my sand paper and simple rubbed random places until I got the look I wanted to achieve. Finally, use a rag to apply Wipe On Poly for a seal. Simple as that! If you are like me, you may be your own worst critic. But, if I may say, you will never know the amazing possibilities unless you TRY and may actually surprise yourself. Fun project, supporting small local business, inexpensive new furniture and another wrinkle in my brain....good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment