Friday, December 21, 2012

My Mind's in the Gutter!

My mind's in the gutter and I'm pleased to say I'm excited about it! No, this phrase is not being used in it's typical affiliation. I am talking about GARDENING! You may be thinking I am a bit off my rocker, -or glider in my case- thinking about my Spring garden at the height of the Christmas season...go ahead. It is never too early start planning for a bountiful and beautiful Spring crop. So, what's this talk of the gutter? I've been doing research on utilizing my small gardening space by growing more vertically. So, I am going to grow various greens and lettuces in 2 sections of 6 foot long gutters, fastened to our backyard fence. Lettuce especially has a pretty shallow root system, so enriched soil filled gutters have shown to be a successful cradle to grow them in. This will free up my ground space for other larger vegetables to grow happily in. Of course, I will be buying my Lowe's gift card for my Gutter Garden project at Kroger to earn quick fuel points in the process. It seems strange to think that in only 3 months we will be planting seeds and watching our garden grow. But, I think even Santa would appreciate the vibrant crisp leaves of organically grown Buttercrunch lettuce! What are your creative gardening tips? I'd love to hear from someone who's mind is in the gutter with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment