Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Re-purposed Clothing

Would you believe that this scarf was once a men's turtleneck? It is crazy but yes, true! As fall begins tempting us with cooler evenings and earlier rusted sunsets, my mind immediately darts to my wardrobe. Who couldn't use a new scarf? As much as I would love to run out and purchase one, sometimes the truth is, I can't. However, one of the benefits of not having much extra cash flow is the heavy flow of a creative mind! So, I purchased this shirt from a thrift store for $1.00. A men's large or extra large is ideal for a good long scarf. I also felt a million shirts between my fingers to find one that was both stretchy and soft. If you have one in your closet, you don't have to buy a thing. So, lay the shirt out in front of you right side up. Cut the top of the shirt off horizontally from armpit to armpit, leaving you with a big rectangle. Next, start from the bottom of the shirt and cut or tear strips vertically until about 2 inches from the top. Do this all the way around until you have a big oblong piece of fabric with a bunch of strips hanging from it. I placed it around my neck and in front of a mirror just started braiding and knotting pieces together randomly until I had a look going that I liked. I also pulled the fabric even more, giving it a good stretch to work with. Voila! Within 20 minutes I had a new funky fall accessory that is not only one of a kind, but nearly FREE! Time well spent, money well saved! Try it and let me know how works out for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment