Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Crockpot Vegetable Soup

Crockpot Vegetable Soup is one of the easiest meals I know. It is perfect for a day when you are on the go and do not have time to prep and cook a meal amongst a million other things to do. I used about 6 cups of chicken stock I had left over from my Crockpot Chicken as the base for this soup. However, you can use any kind of stock you prefer. Next, I added about 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. I always have a giant 5 pound bag of this organic mix (corn, peas, green beans & carrots) from Costco in my freezer as they are less than $6 a bag and extremely versatile in their use. Then I added 2 stalks of chopped celery, 3 chopped red potatoes, 2 chopped garden fresh bell peppers & half of an onion, diced. Add salt, pepper and dried herbs to your liking. I then set on high for 4 hours. You can be done here and have a great, healthy meal for your family. Or, if you would like to keep going, you can add anything from noodles, rice, chicken or even tofu (extra firm) to give this soup some added 'umph'. This pot of homemade soup cost me under $3 to make and should serve about 6 people. Making the most of a dollar, delicious and nutritious- Mmmmm tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment