Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pesto Pizza with Tomatoes & Goat Cheese


I don't think I have ever met a person who wouldn't eat pizza. It is extremely versatile, being served at sporting events and gourmet soirees alike. This pizza is yummy, simple, inexpensive & good for you all at once. I'm not sure it gets much better! You can use any pizza dough base, or make your own as I did here-which is totally easier than you may think if you've never done it. Search the internet for one you prefer. Next, I used my homemade pesto as a sauce with fresh picked garden basil. Simply throw basil leaves, diced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice into a food processor & blend. Start with a 'less is more' approach in portions of ingredients and add according to the flavors you like. Then add sliced tomatoes (like the garden heirlooms here) on top of your pesto pizza and finish with crumbled goat cheese and fresh cracked pepper. Bake at 400 about 12 minutes. This is a fun family dinner to involve the kids in too. From kneading the dough, to picking the basil leaves & crumbling the goat cheese, the kids are welcomed getting their hands in. As for the cost, I found the goat cheese on clearance, made the dough from scratch, and utilized my garden for topping. All in all it cost me about $3 for this homemade gourmet goodness! What homemade pizza recipe is on the top of your list? The more the merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment