Monday, January 28, 2013

'Catch All' Rice Casserole

Rice casserole is a GREAT 'catch all' recipe for dinner that is sure to be tasty, simple, inexpensive and healthy. This meal cost me about $2.50 to make and feeds 4 people. Of course the cost will vary depending on the vegetables and meat you choose. If you do not already, subscribe to emails from Earthbound Farms for a weekly produce coupon. I got 2 bags of organic carrots for .20  each after using my printable savings. The casserole pictured here is 2 cups brown rice (you can get white rice FREE at Publix right now-see iheartpublix.com) which I precooked. Then I added 2 cans cream of mushroom soup which I got for .30 each on the current sale at Kroger or Publix, 1 diced carrot, 1 C peas, 1/2 diced onion, handful of spinach that needed to be used up and 1 package of Seitan which is a wheat protein, meat substitute, I got on Manager Special at Kroger for $1.50. Simply mix it all together with salt and pepper, top with cheese and bread crumbs if you'd like and bake covered in foil until carrots are softened, about 50 minutes at 350. Do you have a different version of rice casserole I should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment