Monday, January 7, 2013

Who's Hat is That?

I've been thinking a lot about friends lately and this got me digging around in the Bible to see what God has to say about a friend. I was a little surprised that when searching back to the original Hebrew and Greek meanings of the word 'friend', the definition kept bringing me to the word 'husband.' Hmmm. This makes me stop and really think...and then just be in awe of God's plans for all of us. It is in His design for our spouse to be our friend, I would even suggest our BEST friend. I am often guilty at looking so hard for something right under my nose...friendship. I have lots of friends which I am so blessed by and I am totally not discrediting that, or any one of them. You know how you just sometimes have those emotional days or frustrating days or moments when you just want to call your friend and vent, cry, or scream (maybe all at once?) But if you are like me, sometimes a text doesn't get very far and a voice mail will not do and an email may get spammed. Let's face it, we all live busy lives and no one is at fault for doing so. All the while, I have my husband, my friend, who I could call on and in a moment's time would listen to, hold tight and love on me. I think I sometimes get wrapped in the lie of society and media that a spouse is somehow less than when the truth is that our spouse is capable of more than we realize. Yes, being married comes with a lot of hats to wear the longer the knot is tied, but we are equipped  by God's sweet Spirit for any type of hat from the sombrero to the fedora. My sweet son loves to wears hats. He struts proudly around our home exclaiming, 'Hat! Hat!' with anything on his head from a colander to a brassiere. Maybe as spouses, we should be a little more childlike and dare to wear (or give) the 'Best Friend Hat'- whatever that looks like, to our spouse. I bet it fits better than we realize... probably looks pretty good too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment