Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cheesy Rice & Veggie Casserole

I have many days where I open the fridge or pantry and all I see is a chaotic swirl of left overs and random ingredients. Then my husband says, 'There is nothing to eat.' This is when I have to get into creative cooking gear. Let's make something out of nothing! This recipe came out of a moment like I just described. This is a SIMPLE recipe that you can substitute & add things easily as you prefer. 

1 1/2 C brown rice (i had some left overs waiting to be eaten) 
1 C frozen broccoli, defrosted 
1 C sliced, marinated artichokes (i had a jar open in the fridge) 
1 onion 
2 Tbs olive oil 
16 oz chicken stock 
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese 
1/4 C butter 

Heat oven to 350. Spray casserole dish with non stick cooking spray. Dice onion & saute until browned. Mix rice, broccoli, artichokes and sauteed onion together, place in casserole dish. Salt if desired. In a small pot, add stock, butter and cheese. Stir constantly on medium heat until smooth and creamy. Pour over casserole. Bake about 20 minutes or until heated through. *Tips- almost any vegetable you have in the fridge that needs to be used up will go in this. Squash & zucchini would be great choices. A variety of rice could be used as well if you do not desire brown. I always buy a block of cheese and shred myself to save some money. Keep this vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead of chicken. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment