Monday, July 16, 2012

Patience PLEASE

I think it is pretty safe to say that we could all use a little more patience some days. Being a mommy of two small children, sometimes my patience meter is as empty as my wallet after an amazing shoe sale. I am only human, so making mistakes is something I know enough about. Yet, I am tested pretty regularly on how patient I can be (especially with my two little ones in the back seat, sitting in traffic, listening to one scream while the other is repeating the same word 1,472 times AND we are being wafted by the scent of a freshly pooped diaper). So, this got me thinking about Mary and how her patience may have been. For a moment, I tried to imagine what it would be like to be told by an  angel that I was going to be pregnant with the Son of God. What would it be like to be pregnant for nine months, waiting and wondering what your son will look like and not being able to imagine it since he does not have your husband's genes? What feelings would be going on in regards to how eager you would be to meet your son, yet your Savior? How do you prepare for any of this without Divinely appointed patience? This leads me to think that Mary's patience ran deeper than mine since these thoughts are pretty normal for a pregnant woman in her circumstance to wonder. This urges me to tap into God's reservoir of patience deeper than before. 'But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete lacking nothing.' James 1:4 Let's just remind ourselves that perfection of anything does not come without growth or change that may very well be a bit uncomfortable, especially the perfect work of patience. 

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! shannon this made me laugh aloud! i'm picturing your face, trying to guess which word Delilah was repeating 1,472 times and Ocean screaming "I'm sitting in poooooooooop mama!" in the only language he knows how to communicate in right now..............................screaming! and yes i sure could work on being more patient. love you all!

    ReplyDelete